- The essence of adventure lies in doing something unique, unheard-of, and irregular. While trekking up a hill becomes common, we bring you the Sandhan valley that goes down a gorge. Sounds exciting, doesn’t it?
- It is also known as the Valley of Shadows or The Great Canyon is a gorge in the Sahyadri mountain range located in the Western Ghats. This canyon extends 2 km long and 200 ft. deep covered with astoundingly large rocks on both sides. This trek which includes the camping and rappelling experience too begins with a descend from Samrad village and ends with an ascend to the Dehene village. The journey in between encompasses wading through refreshing streams of water, rappelling down gigantic rocks, and camping under a gorgeous night sky.
- One of the best experiences of the Sandhan valley trek is the “Reverse Waterfall”. Yes, you read that right – a waterfall that flows from down to up. This happens due to high-pressure winds pushing the water entering the valley during the monsoon season, back upwards, thus bringing this unique phenomenon to life.
- The reason why it is also referred to as the Valley of Shadows is that the deep ravines of this gorge receive very little or no sunlight. It is only around noon that the canyon gets lit up making your trek in the dark until then, even more exhilarating.
- Further, this camping is an experience you simply can’t miss. As the terrain in this canyon is mostly rocky, finding a flat surface is usually the first step to set up a camp and enjoy a blissful night in this valley. Camping along with rappelling together completes the wholesome experience this trek aims to provide.
- Surrounded by the magnificent Alang-Kulang- Madan forts, Ratangad fort as well as Kalsubai Peak (the highest peak in Maharashtra), Samrad village, Sandhan valley’s base camp offers a truly breath-taking view at every point in the day.
- There’s no specific time of the year that is best suited for this trek but out of the experience, we can say that it is certainly most thrilling during the monsoon season. Located in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, getting to the Sandhan valley location is extremely easy from prime spots like Pune and Mumbai. To know more, read on.
Leave a reply